Monday, January 21, 2013

Leafy greens


After ten straight weeks of full-blown morning sickness, I can eat again.  Thank goodness!  And, thankfully, I'm finally having healthy cravings.  I was worried for a minute that I'd only want corndogs and cheesy rice for the remainder of this pregnancy.  :x  For the past couple of days, all I have wanted is milk.  But raw, creamy, fresh-from-the-farm milk, not the watery stuff.  But, in a society that treats raw milk like poison, I'm just not willing to take the pressure.  I'm already having a time dealing with comments about my coffee consumption and whether or not I'm getting my subs toasted.  Now I'm craving salads.  Normally, I'm not a great consumer of salads, at least not until summer rolls around.  I'm a pretty seasonal eater.  But now I could eat salads morning, noon, and night.

After years of searching on-and-off, I've finally found a store bought salad mix that I like.  The goal is to eat organic and direct from the farmer, but in a pinch I'd like to be able to just drive to Weis and grab a bag of greens.  Every product I've tried until now either tastes disgusting (or has no taste at all) or is wilted and soggy - just overall sad bags of lettuce. But the other day I picked up a container of organicgirl baby spring mix.  Not only are these greens delicious, but they're crisp, colorful and stand up very well in a salad.

From their website:

organic ingredients:

baby green romaine lettuce, baby greenleaf lettuce, tango, tatsoi, baby spinach, baby red romaine lettuce, lolla rosa, baby red chard, arugula, mizuna, baby green chard, baby oakleaf lettuce. ingredients may vary by season.

Delicious!  Just an FYI: even though the packaging proclaims they wash the greens three times, I would still wash them before hand if you're adamant about that sort of thing, because there is still a bit of dirt (maybe from transportation?)

I can't wait for spring to come and, along with it, farmer's markets!  Until then, I think I'm going to stick with organicgirl when I can't make it out to get fresh farm salad mixes.

 I've also bought some seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds to try and see if we can't grow our own veggies indoors this year (I'm pretty excited about that prospect!).


2 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom, I've been eating a lot of salad lately too. And I don't care what Shane says, that's totally a salad, with or without extras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! :) I mean, multiple types of lettuce, spinach and some dressing on the side - that should constitute a salad. I asked him what he considered a "salad" to be and he basically described a casserole with some lettuce thrown in :D

    ReplyDelete

Copyright @ Dreamweaver | Floral Day theme designed by SimplyWP | Bloggerized by GirlyBlogger